AT15A - A British Steel shoebox that's slow, but earns large quantities of credits.

ATTENTION! The forum is archived and can only be read. You can find more information on our Discord server or on our Website.

Discord New Website

• AT15A - A British Steel shoebox that's slow, but earns large quantities of credits.

Original article (German) by @Yolda
      Translated by: @Amaunet85

Commanders,
      Today (Translator's note:May 27th, 2015) I want to - ultimately inspired by DieMutter - introduce the AT 15A on Tier 7 - a British premium tank destroyer.
      Through luck, I've even achieved the Hero of Raseiniai-medal (destroy all seven opponents in a game) in this tank.
      I've been through luck in this tank even once (destroy all seven opponents in a game), the Hero of Raseiniai-medal achieved.

There is actually little to report or share about this tank.

It's very slow, so you should know that it is a one-way tank. Going the long way around simply isn't an option because of the time limit.
      Because of that, I always go for the the route that has the least differences in altitude - the Heavy-way.
      This tank has Preferential Matchmaking, meaning it never sees a tank above tier 8 in a match. However, most of the time, you end up being top tier in a match. My stats through solo-play are a lot higher in this tank than in some other tanks.

Chances are that most enemies will be eliminated on your way, if you follow after the rest. Due to the low maximum speed, you should head for the base immediately, and hope to lure the enemy there by capturing the base. This usually happens despite enemy fire, because the enemy does not come by often.

The AT 15A has a very fast rate of fire and a precise and fast firing gun. Even shots while driving are usually reliable enough to hit the enemy.
      The Standard - AP - Ammunition has considerable penetration values and up to tier 7, you see little red in your enemies, even when an enemy is facing you fully, you can often penetrate their armour just fine.
      Here is a screen of the front view of the Tiger I, as an example:

As you can see, that's a lot of green. The hull of this tank is very vulnerable to the AT15 A and shooting it often leads to engine troubles. MG/Driver hatches can be penned even if the enemy is angled. The cupola is tricky though. Lastly, the turret can be penned when it's turned further away from you. Look at your possible opponents in the app Armour Inspector closely. There are a few harder nuts to crack. The majority, however, is quite simple to damage.

In turn, all enemies upto tier 7 have great difficulties with your own armour. Here are some sample pictures of how the Tiger I sees you, with his best tier 8 gun - the 8.8cm Kw.K 43 L / 71st

Image 1.
      Frontal he has little opportunity to pen you, as this plate is extremely well armored for this tier level. Besides the hatches left and right, it looks bleak for him indeed.
      The picture now shows a frontal plan view, in battle he has a somewhat higher built and can therefore sometimes shoot you through your chest.
      Image 2.
      When you're angled as such, it's actually a little easier for our Tiger I to pen you.
      Image 3.
      Furthermore, you need to be a little careful with this tank, because the canon panel (image 1)also represents a small flaw. If the cannon is directed to one side, you can shoot it relatively well and damage teh side-panel.

Given the very simple play-style, slowly driving forwards like a turtle and flattening everything it meets, it simply and reliably earns credits.
      Unlike the IS-6 that needs a high proportion of premium ammunition it can ride very well almost only with standard ammunition. So that also does not detract from the already good profit it makes.
      Compared to the T34, the advantage the AT15 A has is the preferential matchmaking, so you only have to take care of opponents upto tier 8, as we all know. It's much more pleasant to compete only against tiers 5 through 8, and often be top tier, than meeting tier 9 with tier 8, even if the IS6 has preferential matchmaking too.
      Here is an average result of a battle with a premium account.

The advantage of a premium tank is always that the crew is already at 100%. I permit myself the luxury here, also because of the slow top speed of the tank, to drive with the speed-boost. (Translator's note; it translated into 'drive buffed', that he means the speed-boost is my assumption, as he's talking about consumables)
      In addition, it should be noted that the tank doesn't have a particular increase of engine power with the speed-boost, because of its small engine power and the high dead weight.
      When I need it, I also use adrenalin, and as third consumable, I have the multikit. The tank rarely burns, I think, but you get tracked from time to time. You can sit out matches, doing damage from afar, as the range of this tank is rarely a problem.

HE ammunition has little value because it can rarely be used and your AP is perfectly adequate as a coup de grace.
      But I carry 4 shells as a force of habit. The amount of ammunition you can carry is quite large to cover the rapid rate of fire. I carry 33 AP and 22 APCR on board. However, I often get to the point that I've run out of AP and I automatically switch to APCR.

The premium ammunition allows you to pen many tier 8's frontally in the hull, such as KV-4 etc. Thanks to the precise gun you can pen the top of the KV-4. With APCR and adrenaline, many tier 8 tanks have met their downfall.

Only the limited health points is a serious weakness, especially in Tier 8 matches. Because two hits from one of the high alpha damage guns already make you sweat and give you a near-death experience. The many smaller pinholes often can't be protected by angling, and due to the immobility of the tank, the shots melt right through your armour.

As a tier 7, caution is advised against tier 8. Preferably, you should drive it from the second line, but near the an enemy under fire. Alone, you can fare well against a tier 8, especially if they've already lost health points.

If you're top tier, there's little reason not to go on a full frontal attack, but position yourself smartly and don't go into the middle of the fray.

In particular, the lower classes have no idea how they should behave towards you, and often remain in front of you, trying to damage you. This also often includes the fast mediums who should try to come to the side or the rear.
      Now, that's not intended as an invitation to approach them unnecessarily. But there is no reason to let hold back as much as in other tank destroyers or in higher tiers. If the AT 15A is ever in the fray of the battle it can be used for maximum damage output just they can.

I play with vents, rammer and the gun laying drive as equipment. With 240m of sight and the 100% Crew, it's not as blind as some others on this stage, but it's no eagle eye. Because he is so slow anyway it makes little sense to equip it with optics or binoculars to improve something that you can let others do for you and stay informed about. Camouflage net also makes little sense. Therefore, I find it a good option to improve the aiming time again. But this last slot could be fitted to your own taste. Some may possibly also pack a tool box or something similar. I think the 10% faster aiming time brings only a slightly better percentage.

In my experience, it's one of the most interesting and easy-to-play premium tanks. It wins often while producing a constant high flow of credits. Certainly the IS-6 offers this as well, but with the necessary skills, you can earn just as much, and hold against any opponent, in the AT15 A.

This tank can be driven solo safely, and can be driven quite aggressively.

Source: wotbfanzone.eu/forum/index.php…ro%C3%9Fe-mengen-credits/

Amaunet's notes on the tank:
      The AT15A is lovely little bully. I got it the day it first arrived in the prem-store. Never aced a tank so many times in one day. Of course, that's also because it was new, but it's a little monster, and 2k damage per battle is easily achieved - if you get to meet the enemies. The rapid firing gun makes it absolutely deadly, and because you're so slow, you don't move enough to lose your aim every shot.

The armour is perfect for bouncing - your only true enemies are tier 8's, td's with big guns, and people that know how to use prammo. So, wiggle the tank a little bit if people start to damage you, otherwise, just hold still and do maximum damage.

This is one of the few tanks you will not want to angle - it's at its strongest when tilted only a fraction to the left or right, but pretty much facing the enemy straight. In games with lots of fast tanks, you'll want to find a place where you can shoot someone repeatedly as they drive at you, because once you get flanked, you're dead. If you're top tier, feel free to be a full bully and just barge towards the enemy, shooting whatever comes your way. Chances are they'll just be shooting at you and bouncing off you because they have no clue.

I disagree with Yolda on the base thing though. Even though it's slow, base isn't always the best option. I prefer to go right to the enemy line. This means that usually, I just drive in a straight line towards their spawn, whether the base is in between or not. Chances are good I'll get spotted first, and that'll draw the attention of the enemy and make more come to me. In Falls Creek, it can hold the bridge all by itself if need be, for instance.

I've equipped mine with Rammer, Vents and GLD (the perfect combination for every tank destroyer), and use the multikit, adrenaline and tea & pudding as consumables. Though the pen of the gun is just great, don't hesitate to switch to prammo when you meet tanks that can hurt you. There are few things more fun than meeting a ISU-152 with the BL10, activating that adrenaline and shooting him to hell while he won't get more than one shot into you in turn, but in order to survive that one on one, you will want to make certain every shot you make connects.

Basically, you just have to abuse the gun and the armour on this thing to the max, but take note of who your enemies are before you do so. When you get in a match where you know you'll meet people or guns that will damage you, hang back and don't go further forwards than second line. Otherwise, be free to be a bully and laugh at the sound of ricochets.